Monday 22 August 2011

Catching up

Yesterday I met up with a long lost friend - a girl I haven't seen for 10 years. I was pretty nervous about it, I must admit, but it was so, so worth it. We were so close in sixth form and got each other through some tough times. I don’t really remember why we stopped speaking. I've got a feeling there was some minor slight - or perceived slight - on one side or the other, and when you combine that with time, distance and totally different lives, we just drifted apart. Actually, it's not fair to say we drifted, there wasn’t a period of decline. We just stopped speaking.
That all seems so silly now. One of the things about getting older is that everything that seemed such a massive deal in the past is now completely trivial. We got on like a house on fire, talked non-stop for hours, swapping stories about our lives and those of the people we used to share a school uniform with. I believe that saying, "You can't go home again", but that's not what catching up with old friends feels like to me. You're not trying to recreate, just rejuvenate. Beginning again on old foundations.

I'm planning to post a bit more about my weekend, including a pic or two. But for now, suffice to say my blast from the past was a very welcome one.

No comments:

Post a Comment