Friday 2 September 2011

Blush tones and hushed tones


This picture is actually a couple of weeks old, which I know is probably cheating in blog world, but hey, who's checking. I've worn this fab colour a couple of times since though, so hopefully that helps. Also, in very bad blogger form, I don't even know what the colour is or who makes it because it came free with a magazine and I don't have the bottle with me. All those things aside, isn't it cool? I don't have the world's best nails - or whole hands for that matter - but I love wearing funky colours. I painted this on a three-hour train journey, which is perhaps the only time I'll actually sit still long enough for it to dry properly. From what I see elsewhere - namely Emily at Cupcakes and Cashmere who frankly, I'd trust with my fashion life - muted pastels, blush tones, greys, soft pinks and the like are key this season.

On a completely unrelated note, I just thought this post by Kate at eat the damn cake was so, so spot on that I had to mention it. If you believed the conversations my friends and I have 99% of the time, you'd think we had the most perfect lives imaginable. Of course, we don't. But we just don't talk about the imperfect bits much. I firmly believe there'd be a hell of a lot less mental illness - or at the very least, a lot less stigma around it - if we were all just a bit more open about our problems. But no-one wants to be the one who's struggling, the one who's husband/job/ovaries/parents are annoying/boring/dysfunctional/sick. That can't be right - surely problems are secrets pathologised. The phrases "I just want to be alone" and "I don't want to talk about it" should be banned.

No comments:

Post a Comment